How to Write an Exploratory Essay: the Writing Tips
Writing an essay is an arduous and yet fascinating process. Papers may vary a lot and have their own unique features, but today we want to talk about an exploratory essay. At a glance, it seems that it is one of the easiest types of writing, but it is not really so. Many students get very excited after learning they have been assigned the task of writing an exploratory essay. And it's easy to get why: you don't actually need any specialized knowledge to do it. However, when you begin to write an exploratory issue, you might not be able to keep your thoughts nice and lush. Exactly at this point, one question inevitably arises: How to write an exploratory essay?
It is always a nice idea to start it by posing a question or stating an unknown fact that should be addressed and explained in the next paragraphs. However, there shouldn't be more than one novel question because structuring them and writing about everything you want can be quite tricky. An exploratory essay is not as easy as you might have initially thought. However, the process of writing can be fascinating indeed.
What is an exploratory essay? The definition
The first thing that comes to your mind is probably, "What is an exploratory essay?" Let's try to take a look at it in more detail.
Naturally, the title partially explains the meaning and the main idea of your essay. While writing it, we explore some problems and, of course, reach the solution or arrive at some form of a conclusion. The peculiar thing is that, while writing this type of essay, we shouldn't persuade the readers to believe us. Instead, we should examine a particular idea or a set of viewpoints under a "magnifying glass of objectiveness." It is also imperative to cite different sources properly, letting your readers choose the side they feel is the most persuasive.
So, let's look into the most universally acceptable exploratory essay definition.
An exploratory essay is a paper of a somewhat speculative nature in which a writer examines an idea or experience and works through the problem, without attempting to support or disprove the thesis.
Exploratory essay outline tips
If you have no idea how to make an exploratory essay outline, you should consider looking for some assistance. For instance, you can discuss your paper with a group of students or with your friends. It will help you improve the essay and add some issues that you could have missed. Brainstorming is also an excellent opportunity to come up with some new ideas that you can mention in the paper. When working on the outline, you should keep in mind the following:
- Has the topic of your paper got any practical value?
- Can the questions you ask draw anyone's attention?
- Is the thesis easy-to-understand?
- Are there any other ideas you want to explore in the essay?
The exploratory essay format also plays a major role. Don't forget that the question you choose should be thought-provoking and informative not only for you but for the readers as well.
How to start an exploratory essay?
Coming up with a solid exploratory essay introduction is a quite challenging task. The success of your paper very often depends on how you start off.
Follow these basic tips that can help you write a proper introduction to your essay:
- Mention all the issues you want to write about so that the reader can determine whether this topic is attractive to them.
- Include an enticing statement which will persuade the reader to proceed with reading.
- Outline the purpose of the essay.
Exploratory essay thesis statement writing tips
The exploratory essay thesis usually shows the purpose of the paper and its scope. In most cases, it is placed in the introduction, explaining what the writer seeks to achieve. Hence, writing it properly is also critical. To create a good thesis statement you should:
- Get yourself acquainted with different aspects of the research before getting started.
- Try to avoid cliched phrases like "The main purpose of this paper is..."
- Interest the readers with what you might think can be a curious phenomenon or idea.
The body paragraphs of an exploratory paper
In the body paragraphs, the writer usually supports their thesis by exploring the topic in greater depth and expressing their thoughts regarding it. The analysis should be profound and conducted from different angles so that the reader can be aware of all the variables. Here are a few tips that might help you with the body paragraphs:
- Put the central argument first because sometimes it is difficult to identify it.
- Express your opinion and different points of view in an unbiased manner.
- Use transitory words and phrases. That will help you make your essay coherent.
How to end an exploratory essay: the Conclusion tips
Keep in mind that, when working on this paper, your primary objective is to examine something meticulously. Therefore, in the exploratory essay conclusion, you should provide one or several appropriate solutions or answers.
Make sure that you don't forget to:
- Mention the main problem or question you have laid out at the start.
- Write briefly about all the key points.
- Summarize the research done by you.
30 Interesting exploratory essay topics
Picking a topic is a very responsible task because your essay's success will ultimately depend on it. Imagine writing about things you're not really interested in - it will surely be a tiresome process. Therefore, select the topic you would like to investigate.
Here is a list of hand-picked exploratory essay topics that you might find interesting.
- Does love change over time?
- Should men and women have equal rights?
- Can procrastination result in a positive outcome?
- Which age is the best for having the first sex?
- What are the differences between men and women's communication?
- What are the pros and cons of drinking coffee?
- Do humans need to eat meat? Is it absolutely necessary?
- What impact does religion have on people's lives?
- Should children use a mobile phone during classes?
- Which actions can decrease crime rate?
- Will computers replace teachers in the near future?
- What are the pros and cons of social platforms?
- At what age is a person ready to get married?
- What impact does same-sex parenting have on children?
- Why are most people dependent on sugar?
- Which books are better: paper or electronic?
- Why should children manage their time?
- What are the main factors in choosing a spouse?
- Does the music we listen to sync up with our body's vibrations?
- Why do women wear high heels?
- Can atheism be considered a religion?
- Who are stronger - vegetarians or meat-eaters?
- What are the pros and cons of being single?
- Television or the Internet: what is more influential?
- Were humans created by God or spawned by evolution?
- Why do we distinguish people by race?
- Does parenting influence the children's future?
- What is the reason for getting into a relationship?
- Do video games cause physical violence?
- To what can cloning lead?
Writing an exploratory essay is not very complicated, but it surely requires some effort. The primary purpose here is to conduct research and learn something new without your teacher's assistance. The process of writing can be really fascinating, but you might not have the time or desire for it. If that is the case, get in touch with us and simply order it from us!